Harsco Releases 2019-2020 Environmental, Social & Governance Report
- Key milestones achieved in the execution of the Company’s strategy to transform into global, single thesis environment services business - more than 80% of company revenues now derived from environmental solutions, compared to about 60-percent three years ago
- Report establishes ESG goals across our program’s four focus areas and discloses ESG performance data informed by both the
Sustainability Accounting Standards Boardand Global Reporting Initiative reporting standards
- Company made significant environmental contributions in 2019; Saved over 5 million metric tons of carbon emissions through Harsco’s Environmental division; Recycled almost 19 million tons of material, up from 13 million tons the previous year.
Harsco’s most comprehensive sustainability report to date provides a detailed look at the company’s vision, strategy, values, governance and key focus areas anchoring its sustainability strategy. To read the full report, visit: https://www.harsco.com/sustainability.
The past year has been a period of unprecedented growth and change at
“The world is changing rapidly, and it is vital to acknowledge how
Harsco’s 2019-2020 ESG Report is informed by leading market standards including the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and the
- Innovative Solutions: Derive over 90% of Harsco’s annual revenue from environmental products and services.
- Inspired People: Enhance diversity and gender representation on the board and senior management.
- Safe Workplaces: Achieve a Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) less than 1.25 in 2020.
- Thriving Environment: Reduce the energy and carbon intensity of operations by 15-percent by 2025.
Highlights of the report include:
- Increased ESG oversight at the director level by expanding the Governance Committee’s (formerly the
Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee) review of ESG strategy, initiatives and policies. Kathy Eddyand Carolann Haznedar, two of our Directors, were recognized by WomenInc. Magazine as two of the 2019 Most Influential Corporate Board Directors.
- Enhanced focus on ESG in the 2020 enterprise risk management process.
- Acquired Stericycle’s Environmental Solutions business in
April 2020, increasing Harsco’s geographic scale and reach, while enabling the company to create a leading national hazardous waste management platform.
- Launched 22 new environmental solutions across the company.
- Equipped Clean Earth’s water treatment plant in
Detroitto accept PFAS-contaminated water, making it one of the first large-scale PFAS water treatment facilities in Michigan.
- Saved over 5 million metric tons of carbon emissions through Harsco’s Environmental’s recycling and repurposing solutions.
- Rolled out a fleet management strategy in
Harsco Environmental North America, resulting in a 10-percent reduction of diesel fuel consumption and emissions.
- Recycled or repurposed 18.6 million tons of material in 2019, up from 13 million the previous year.
- Increased number of ISO 14001 certified sites by 39-percent.
- Recognized as a Winning “W” company by 2020 Women on Boards for having women comprise at least 20-percent of our Board of Directors in 2019.
- Employees contributed over 5,500 hours volunteering with community organizations.
- Launched new a corporate human rights policy in
- Implemented the HarscoCares COVID-19 Global Principles at all facilities to ensure the health and safety of our people around the world through the COVID-19 crisis.
- Achieved a total recordable incident rate in 2019 of 0.8.
- Increased number of ISO 18001/45001 certified sites by 14%.
|Harsco Investor Contact||Harsco Media Contact|
Source: Harsco Corporation